Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Sorry about the media blackout

Well, it wasn't really a media blackout. It's just been a while since we've last posted. Here's what has happened (in a nutshell) in the meantime...

As most of you may know already my (Steve's) dad passed away on Feb 18th after a very long battle with a rare disorder called MDS. To honor my dad's wishes I returned to the U.S. to lead the funeral service and to be with my family for a short while. I have since returned and we have (finally) moved to Arandis where we will live and call home.

So, now that we're in Arandis, we should have reams and reams of updates for you, right? Soon enough, trust me. We are taking in the surroundings, meeting people, formulating plans, and engaging in adventures that we could only dream of a year ago when we first told our congregation in Chantilly, Virginia that we were moving to Africa.

The first adventure, though, came as I struggled to get internet access. I had to drive about 60 Kilometers to Swakopmund two times to get the equipment and work out various bugs so I can access the web and post this post. That, of course, is after spending a bazillion dollars to do it. Ah well... as you can see, this eventually worked and I now have blazing fast speeds of about 156Kbs. :-)

Anyhow, we've got a ton of great pics to share, but now we need to go through them, downsize them (because we pay for every Megabyte we send or receive) and upload them. Stay tuned, that should come soon.

But, for the time being, you'll just have to picture us in your minds. Just place us in a scorching hot place (been about 110 to 115 F) with the brightest sunshine you've ever seen, and rolling hills of sand and rock for as far as the eye can see. Yep, that's us you see right now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry 'bout the loss of your dad but rejoice he's ok now. thinking of ya'll all the time and we're waiting for pics.

Ron da Silva said...

Well... 156 Kbps is pretty darn slow...I thought I was cool having ISDN at the house back in 1996 when I first started with Sprint, that was 144 Kbps. You'll have to figure out how to turn off all those cumbersome operating system updates and discovery protocols else you'll burn up all your bandwidth just on MSFT noise!

Anyhow, maybe burn the pictures to a disc and mail it instead? Then you can have someone upload them for you (um, I guess I just volunteered).

Welcome to the draconian internet!

Steve and Pam said...

We have been praying for you all. Know your family was thankful for your return, even briefly, but particularly to honor your dad. He is fully healed now!!
I have one question, since we live in 'sandy' West Texas, and have sand storms occasionally, do you know if there are sand storms where you live? Nobody mentioned that when we were there last summer. Bless your whole family on the adjustment!! The Browns

Steve and Karrie said...

Ron - one thing that I might do is occasionally stop at an internet cafe in Swakopmund where you pay for the time online, not data transfer, and it's a bit quicker. Perhaps 1x a month I can head out there when we do our major grocery shopping. We'll see. Now, to figure out how to drown out the MSFT noise!

Steve & Pam - I haven't seen any sand storms yet, but I've seen a picture of one here, so I know it's possible. Oddly enough, we've seen several thunderstorms though. It hadn't rain for 2.5 years here, and it's rained here in Arandis for short periods every day since we've arrived.