Thursday, November 1, 2007

Open Prayer Letter - October 2007

To Our Dear Family and Friends,

I just want to share a bit of my heart with you and express our great appreciation for all your prayers and support. Without you and your prayers, we could never do this!

Though I am generally filled with excit
ement about our move, at times as I lie in bed at night, the reality of the great change we are about to go through almost overcomes me. In the silence, worry sometimes threatens to consume me. I worry most about our parents. What must they be experiencing as they prepare to say goodbye knowing that it could be nearly two years before they see their grandchildren again? Maybe our timing is wrong. And what if there are expectations I am unable to meet and I fail in some way? After all, who am I? I’m unexceptional, quirky and have lots of flaws (just ask our friends who we have been living with!).

As a mother, I also worry about my children’s adjustment, health and safety. What if one of them gets bit by a snake (never mind that the likelihood of dying in a car accident is far greater than from a snakebite!)? Then there are the immediate concerns that maybe our financial target won’t be met or that our house won’t sell and our move will be postponed. Or that our house WILL sell but the finances won’t be in place and we will be homeless!


But my sweet Savior, through all of this, has taught me to look into His eyes and focus on Him. It feels like that point during the transition and pushing phases of labor when the pressure and pain become almost unbearable. But just as I think I’m going to lose control and panic, the Lord gently reminds me to turn my focus towards His beautiful face, to look into His eyes and to push when He says, “Push!” He reminds me that it was He who formed us and the desires within, and He who placed that deep, indescribable passion for Africa and its people in our hearts. He placed His very heart for Africa within us- a heart that compels us to go no matter the cost. We cannot do otherwise. He further reminds me that it was not we who chose the time or place. We would’ve chosen to go years ago and to East Africa- maybe Kenya, Uganda or Tanzania. We hadn’t even considered Namibia. Friends in South Africa mentioned two years ago how they just kept “seeing” us in Namibia. But we were clueless!

The Lord reminds me of all of this. He reminds me of all the prayers ascending on our behalf. You, our brothers and sisters in Christ, have prayed for the Lord to direct our every step. You prayed during candidate week that His Spirit would guide those in leadership at AIM as they recommended an assignment for us. He has heard every one of your prayers and is so faithful. And He will NEVER mislead us! So, what do I have to fear? We are co-laboring with Him to birth His purposes on the earth and He will accomplish all that He has set out to do. Nothing can separate us from Him and His purposes for us! And His purposes for us are ALWAYS good!

Thank you for being sensitive to His leading. Be encouraged to know that God has been hearing your prayers so please don’t stop! The Lord has led some of you to give financially and we are so grateful for your obedience. Of course we can’t go without the finances! Some of you may not be able to give financially or may not feel led of the Lord to give in that way but have prayed faithfully for us. Thank you too for your obedience. Words cannot express our gratitude for the sacrifices you have made to connect yourselves with us in God’s work. We love you all and are praying for you.

May the Lord richly bless you with every good thing and an ever-increasing revelation of His great love for you!

Praying for you too,

Karrie

On behalf of The Grahams (Steve, Karrie, Kailey, Ashlan, Jessa, Josiah)

P.S. We mentioned in our last newsletter about the family we are living with now as our house is for sale and we are preparing to leave. Well, here they are. Meet the da Silvas:

The da Silvas, from left to right: Brianna, Carissa, Robin,

Jameson (on Robin’s lap), Ron, Judah, Reilly, Addison

No comments: